Jump Rope for Heart Public Speaker
|Contact||Ms Jen Mitchell, Community Volunteer Specialist, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario; Phone: 905-574-4105; Fax: 905-574-4380; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|More Info Link||www.heartandstroke.ca|
|Duties||Description of Position: |
Assist School Programs Area Coordinator in delivering Heart Health presentations, Event Kick-Offs (motivational assemblies), and/or Award Presentation speeches to participating schools.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Working in partnership with Area Coordinator:
* Represent HSFO at Award Banner Presentations and thank schools.
* Deliver HSFO “kick-off” presentations to schools to motivate the students to participate and raise funds for our cause.
May also include:
* Attend committee meetings (when applicable).
* Assist in the recruitment of schools to these programs.
* Be the Heart and Stroke Foundation representative at some Jump Rope for Heart/Hoops for Heart events.
* Provide Community Presentations to fulfill other requests, besides schools.
Outcomes / Goals / Impacts:
* All requests for presentations are filled and teachers/schools were pleased and thankful for the information and/or motivation.
* Partnership with staff and/or volunteer chair is strong.
* Schools coordinators (i.e. teachers) were satisfied and plan to return.
* Help raise funds for a very worthwhile cause.
* Maintain (or develop new) contacts within school system.
* Practice public speaking/communication skills.
* Be part of a winning and professional team of volunteers and staff.
* Be part of a fun, high-quality program.
|Dates and Times||Time commitment: 2 to 3 times per week for approximately 1 hour.|
|Location||Hamilton Heart and Stroke Office, 1439 Upper Ottawa Street, Unit 7, at Tunbridge Crescent, Hamilton|
|Number of Positions||Ancaster: 1 individual(s) ; Dundas: 1 individual(s) ; Flamborough: 1 individual(s) ; Glanbrook: 1 individual(s) ; Hamilton Central: 1 individual(s) ; Hamilton East: 1 individual(s) ; Hamilton Mountain: 1 individual(s) ; Hamilton West: 1 individual(s) ; Stoney Creek: 1 individual(s)|
|Ages||18 year(s) and up|
|Commitment Length||Medium Term (from 3 - 12 months) - 6 months or longer.|
|Training||Orientation - Orientation package given within 2 weeks of interview. ; Training is provided - Training and support plan. ; Training is required - See the note below. ; Training on each type of presentation will be given at a one-on one or group meeting with staff partner to ensure you are oriented to Jump Rope for Heart, Hoops for Heart, the Heart and Stroke Foundation, and the presentations themselves. HSFO Intranet(iol) HSFO website (www.heartandstroke.ca).|
|Interaction Level||One-on-one - Some meetings with staff. Some time at schools. ; Small Group - Committee meetings possible. Hamilton location.|
|Volunteer Categories||Board/Committee Members|
* Strong presentation skills, public speaking ability.
* Health and/or nutrition education an asset.
* Polite and outgoing demeanour.
* Desire to bring the heart healthy lifestyle message to youth.
|[ Other Opportunities | Suggest New Opportunity ]|
|Organization Name||Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario, Hamilton Region|
|Address & Map|
|Toll Free Phone||Heart & Stroke Healthline 1-888-473-4636|